- Inform freely, truthfully and objectively the citizens of India on all matters of public interest, national and international.
- Provide adequate coverage to the diverse cultures and languages of the various region of the country through appropriate Programmes in the regional languages/dialects.
- Provide adequate coverage to sports and games.
- Cater to the special needs of the youth.
- Promote social justice, national consciousness, national integration, communal harmony, and the upliftment of women.
- Pay special attention to the fields of education, and spread of literacy, agriculture, rural development, environment, health and family welfare and science and technology.
- Provide a comprehensive TV coverage through the use of appropriate technology.
- Undertake at regular intervals auditions for classical dance forms.
- Ensure that the programmes telecast on its channels are in full compliance of the AIR/Doordarshan programme and advertisement code.
Place basic data about its network, Acts and guidelines, list of commissioned/sponsored programmes, defaulting agencies, and tender notices in the public domain through its website www.ddindia.gov.in